Saturday, March 2, 2013

Thank you!

It has been invigorating and reassuring to learn that U.S. early childhood educators are not alone in their own state and country, and that educators abroad share similar problems namely issues with changing demographics and diversity, poverty, excellence and equity of care and education for children and families. Knowing that somewhere some educator is on the same wavelength than some of us, that we are not alone, gives me strength to persevere in the field or who else is going to stand up for children.


Importantly, the Early Childhood Australia (ECA) revealed how focused repair work toward a specific population needs to be. In the ECA position statements, “A statement of regret and commitment to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families” mentions that “This commitment will be revisited each year at ECA's National Council meeting to evaluate progress and for review and modification as necessary”, and strikes me as what excellence in equity can look like: a conscious work in progress. Clearly, the ECA realized that in order to restore the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s cultural identity, lands and waters, languages and communities, Australia needs to closely monitor progress for years ahead. In other words, the ECA is aware of the damage done to those populations, such damage taking generations to heal.

Assuredly, my goal is to continue communicating with Cyle Nielsen and hopefully soon start exchanging emails with Elizabeth Burro at Pastoral del Niño. Since, I have not heard back from El Salvador or Canada, my other goal is to submit my request again because I would like to learn firsthand how poverty affects families in those countries.

From the extraordinary adventure at “Pastoral del niño de Paraguay”, I have gained an unexpected confidence in my peers in the EC field. This confidence has healed wounds that were still opened from a past experience teaching in the secondary education. Equally, if my wounds can heal, I know that my peers in the field of early education can bring young children in school what they need to grow up to their full potential.

Since this is the last blog for this class, my last words go to my peers whose ideas and expertise have helped me broaden my understanding of the early childhood field. A heartfelt thank you for sharing the resources you came across while conducting your research: they are safely tucked away but readily available. Thank you for inspiring me!

Good luck on your next class! I hope we can continue to study and grow together to better serve children.




3 comments:

  1. Great post MarieFrance! I would like to thank you for your constant and enlightening posts throughout this course. Your posts have provided me with an abundance of information about websites and countries making a difference in the early childhood education field. It was nice to see how you connected with international contacts as well, as many of your colleagues during this course were not able to establish that connection. I thank you again for your support these past 8 weeks and wish you all the best in your future endeavors! Good luck to you and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MarieFrance,

    You are such a lucky girl in having an international contact ans such a big one as it is Pastoral del Niño. When I read the article about that organization in our course readings I thought it would be nice to get to now it, and thanks to you I have. Good luck in the accpetance of your request I really hope they accept you !

    Thanks again for sharing and your hard work in this class, hope to have you in class soon. It's been a plesure MarieFrance.

    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaining insight into the world of education has indeed been the most intriguing! It makes you view the entire educational system in a whole new light. Also, thanks for the shout-out! I too am honored to have gained so much from you guys. Each week we contribute so much that I'm sure will stick with us forever. Please continue to share whatever insight you gain from your international contacts. I would love to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete