Saturday, August 10, 2013

Stage Five of Team Development - Adjourning

The first picture illustrates what the perfect adjourning phase looks like in my mind. Everyoneconcurs on a job well done, a job where everyone contributed to the best of their ability, where lasting relationships have been developed and could be reignited anytime. Everyone is saddened to part after such an exciting time spent together on the completion of a project. However, everyone feels fully satisfied with their job performance and the new deep connections in their lives (Abudi, 2010). Food and music punctuate a short last speech from the program director hailing everyone and no one in particular for having completed a difficult task and resolving all hurdles one at a time showing cohesion from the beginning to the end of the project (O’Hair, & Wiemann, 2012).

 
 

 

The second picture represents how the aforementioned meeting actually adjourns, with one knock of a gavel. According to the University of Idaho “the gavel is a sign of leadership that helps members to understand what is happening”, therefore it is up to the leader to call for the adjournment of the meeting in a clear tap of the gavel symbolically entrusting the earth with the powerful energy displayed in the completion of the project (uidaho.edu, n. d.). End of story! Make place for another one!

 
 
 
 

In my experience, groups that have been hardest to leave are clearly those where issues were still unresolved. One leaves wondering why the group dismantled when issues were still at hand, and does not clearly understand the motives of the leadership (O’Hair, & Wiemann, 2012). When a team reached its climax bringing a project to fruition, an organic feeling (to use a current expression) of completion helps the team separate with an understanding that the bonds created during the project are sustainable (Abudi, 2010).

 Regarding saying good-bye to the colleagues I have had the privilege to work with on the early childhood studies’ master program; I hope to be able to go to the graduation ceremony if there is one. Our adjourning will in fact be a first face to face meeting, almost as if the group were at its forming stage, except that past history will have bonded us through exchanges of true feelings, feelings that have not been corrupted by the illusion of eye sight too often influenced by cultural biases. In my mind, adjourning is only a ritual as far as it regularly occurs at the conclusion of projects.   

Adjourning is as necessary as saying good-bye in the sense that it provides closure. When team members have the opportunity to participate in a wrapping meeting, those team members have a chance to share what worked, what did not, bid farewell to their colleagues, and express last thoughts such as saying a few words of appreciation or apologizing for something that would otherwise be left hanging and provide a feeling of unfinished business.

Since I have developed a relationship with each one of my classmates, ending a class is always difficult. Through their writings, I imagine who my classmates are and benefit from their courage, sensitivities, perseverance, and encouragement. When a colleague I have worked with in a previous class is enrolled in a new class, I know that colleague will support me and I can count on them. This is a feeling I was not expecting to have prior to taking online classes.
 
References
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.
uidaho.edu. n. d. The Use of the Gavel. Retrieved from: http://www.uidaho.edu/exit//~/media/Files/orgs/CALS/Department/AEE/Curriculum/Curriculum%20guides/400%20and%20above/410/Unit%204/403%207%20Use%20of%20a%20Gavel.ashx
 

4 comments:

  1. I love the images you chose to represent the final stage, adjourning. What are great visual image to go along with the meaning of adjourning. I have to agree with you, some of the hardest groups to leave are those that are unresolved. I'm glad you pointed this out because I really didn't even consider that and it is so true. Reaching the adjourning phase doesn't necessarily mean that goals were successfully accomplished..making adjourning much more challenging.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  2. MarieFrance,

    I thought opposite about leaving groups that were unresolved. I am happy to leave those groups because my stress levels increase when I feel anxiety in social situations (such as in teamwork). Groups that don't work well increase my stress level. Also, I feel that I want to use my time wisely by working with others that work well with me. But, it is a learning process and you have helped me to recognize that more. Thank you for that!

    Victoria Leming

    Victoria Leming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I agree with you Marie when there is unresolved conflicts it is difficult to leave because you're still holding that anger, anxiety, and agression. However when everything goes good you can leave that team knowing you did your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie France, It has been good getting acquainted with you through discussion questions and blog posts. Thanks for the informative questions, answers, and information regarding communication and collaboration. Good luck in all you do, your work truly reflects the passion you have for Early Childhood. Please feel free to look and post on my blog and I'll continue to do the same with yours.

    ReplyDelete